Fantastic Fern Collection
Pot Size - Collection contains 6 x 11cm pots - a mix of varieties will be provided where stock allows.
Hardiness - Hardy
Ideal for - Sheltered flower beds and pots
Position - Full to part shade
Description - With their interesting foliage and textures, ferns are easy to grow and require little maintenance. Ferns are best known for growing in shade.
Plant names -
1. Dryopteris atrata - Dark scaly stems contrast strikingly with robust bright green leaves, forming an architectural fountain up to 90cm tall. An impressive hardy evergreen fern, easy to grow in part shade and adequate moisture.
2. Dryopteris dilatata ‘Lepidota Cristata’ - Also known as Broad Wood Fern, this forms a medium-sized clump of deep-green fronds, very finely divided, with a lacy appearance, the stems covered in rusty-brown scales. Plants are clumping in habit, and well suited to use in any moist, shady situation.
3. Cyrtomium fortunei 'Clivicola' - a popular compact cultivar up to 60cm tall, this useful evergreen fern has light green foliage that creates bolder geometrical forms to complement softer woodland plants. Thriving in even deepest shade, this is an easy plant for moist well drained soils.
4. Polypodium vulgare - This is an evergreen terrestrial or epiphytic fern, to 30cm tall, with creeping rhizomes and lance-shaped to oblong, pinnate or very deeply pinnatifid dark green fronds.
5. Asplenium scolopendrium 'Angustifolium' - An eye-catching cultivar up to 40cm tall, with slender glossy emerald leaves that ripple and undulate at the margin. This easy plant tolerates brighter dryer conditions than many ferns once established, though looks its best in moist woodland conditions.
6. Asplenium scolopendrium - The evergreen hart’s tongue fern grows wild in shaded areas, often forming large drifts beneath trees among rocks and streams where its upright pointed ‘tongues’ contrast strikingly with the softer shapes of damp-loving wild flowers. In gardens, the plants are good for shaded wild areas, and are also invaluable for year round interest among shrubs or other shade and moisture loving perennials.